Sunday, August 31, 2014

Thank You!

My days as pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Baldwin have come to a close. Here's a link to my closing sermon 'Hopeful, Patient and Faithful' which I hope may be of some help as they face a time of transition.
 
I posted yesterday on my Facebook page... "Tomorrow I conduct my last service as pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Baldwin. Great people who do some wonderful work. Going to miss them. A lot! If there are any FB Pastor friends (or if they share this... friends of FB pastor friends) who are sensing it's time to move, consider a multi-cultural/traditional church, 35 min. from NYC, 15 min. from some wonderful beaches, with a 3 bed/1 and half bath manse in Baldwin Harbor... and a mission to reach out to their community... then you should seriously be in touch with them! It's been a wonderful 5+ years, but time for me to move on.  Praying God will continue to bless this amazing family of faith."

Today (Sunday) they gave Yvonne and I the most wonderful send-off we could have asked for. Despite it being a Labor Day weekend, folk turned out in force. We were serenaded by flute/piano combo and a violin solo. There was cake. There were cards. There were generous gifts. There were kind words and well wishes. There was laughter and tears. 

Folk from the community came along as well. Ed Barnett (Lutheran) offered a closing litany that spoke of angels going before us. Interfaith delegates came along to support the day. Laura Curran presented us with a wonderful 'Citation' from the Nassau County Legislature. We were a little overwhelmed and can only say a huge, enormous THANK YOU and GOD BLESS to all those in this wonderful community we have been privileged to be a part of for (as one speaker reminded us) 'Five years and five months.'

Of course there are things that we had hoped to accomplish that will now have to be left to other hands. And there are always a whole host of 'What if' and 'Maybe' emotions associated with these times. But it's a new day. A new day for myself and Yvonne and a new day for the church here in Baldwin.

I believe that the God who guided me for a while to be a part of this congregation is more than able to lead them through the days ahead. I look forward to hearing of their progress and hope to keep in touch (in a purely non-ministerial sense I hasten to add) with many I now count as friends. 

This community and church will always have a special place in my affections. God bless you all!




2 comments:

  1. Adrian,
    I'm not really a "bloger", but -- that's a nice blog!! Thank you. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. I will miss both of you. Good luck and God's speed. Barbara V.

    ReplyDelete